OK, I don’t really get people who go sit in a tent in the woods just to hang around the campsite all weekend. Now, this may sound contradictory as I LOVE camping. But, I love camping in places with running hot water and campsite that are in a vicinity of awesomeness (hikes, biking trails, the beach, the lake, etc...) Just hanging out in a campsite eating and drinking all day sounds like no fun and makes me antsy just thinking about it. You get up, have greasy bacon and eggs, sit around, have hamburgers for lunch, sit around, drink, snack, then for supper you have god know what, sit and drink more, then it is night time so you roast wieners over the fire (mmrrph), drink more, make smores and eat 6 random roasted marshmallows, then have more snacks, more drinks. Goodness, we are at, what...6000 calories? Not to mention you have been sitting on your ass all day.
1. Kayaks for fun racing and upper body work
2. Bikes for ass and thighs
3. Trail shoes for hiking or a woodsy run
4. Healthy camping food
5. Active Games (Frisbee, toss games, catch, what ev)
Spending the day exerting calories doing fun activities in the sun make that evening beer around the fire go down with less guilt, no? We know what healthy fruits, veggies, and snacks to bring, and having oatmeal, or eggs and fruit for breakfast isn’t that hard. It’s the supper where everyone wants to chow down, followed by campfire snacks, that I find hard! Other than the usually healthy BBQ meals (grilled chicken or fish, roasted veggies, corn on the cob) what about the camping staple? BURGERS!
Healthy Burgers! All of these recipes use:
- Whole grain thin pita bun thing (Superstore, Sobeys) or any type of thin whole grain bun that isn’t white, super healthy fit bitch buns don’t exist, so we have to use the next best thing (unless you want to substitute lettuce leaves or healthy bread for buns)
- NO KETCHUP. Ketchup = sugar, same with BBQ sauce. You are allowed mustard if you wish.
- Super lean burger (meat of your choice, or have a veggie patty) once this is done cooking, feel free to dab with paper towel, or wrap it in paper towel and exert all your weight on it soaking up ALL the excess fat. What?
5 OF FIT’S FAVE BURGERS:
1. Avocado slices, red onion, feta (light), alfalfa or radish sprouts, tomato slice, dill pickle slices
(this is my absolute fave)
2. Pesto, goat cheese (L), lettuce, tomato
3. Sautéed onion and red peppers, avocado
4. Roasted red peppers (fresh made or from a jar), red onion, sprouts or lettuce, and tomato
5. Light cheddar & salsa
Can you tell I love avocado and tomato? What are your favourites? The ones above are very easy and perfect for camping, they will fill you up and all you have to do is bring a few ingredients/toppings with you.
You will be full of healthy goodness, not of fatty crap, plus you will be able to move after supper.